Provide the following information:
- WHO is calling?
- WHAT is your contact number?
- WHAT has happened?
- WHERE has it happened?
- HOW many people are involved?
- WAIT for questions - please do not hang up
Please note that calls to this number may be recorded. It is an offence to place prank calls.
Tips on what to do in an emergency
A medical emergency means someone's life is in danger and they require immediate medical attention.
- In case of an emergency, take a deep breath and calm down.
- Call ER24 on 084 124.
- Tell the call taker that there is an emergency and you require assistance.
- Give a brief overview of what type of emergency you are dealing with (i.e. person fell down the stairs, someone not breathing, a motor vehicle collision, etc.)
- Provide the call taker with your name and your contact number. Should the line be dropped, the call taker will need a way to call you back.
- Provide the call taker with the exact location of the emergency. Provide a closest cross street or landmark where possible.
- You can now provide more detail on the patient's current condition or the emergency.
- Follow all of the call taker's instructions carefully. You may request telephonic first aid.
- Stay on the line until the call taker ends the call.